Wednesday, October 10, 2018

The Cassette Interviews: Bob Follen

With Keshco having returned to the cassette format for their latest release, the 62-minute mixtape "Never Eject" released in time for Cassette Store Day 2018, here is the first of a series of short tape-themed Q&As. First up, it's the composer of piano psychedelia "Misguided" and synthpop classic "White Darth Vaydar", amongst many others. Step forward...

Bob Follen (drum wizard, crooner and latter-day proper artist) 


What's your strongest tape memory? Growing up apart from my brothers and sister, visiting them, and listening to "Wish You Were Here", I remember vividly looking out of the car window and thinking "my family's in that house, I bet they're having more fun than me". My brother gave me those very same Floyd tapes just over a year ago.

What was the first tape you purchased? I can't quite remember, but I do remember asking a member of library staff to unlock their tape carousel so I could hire Freddie Mercury's "Mr Bad Guy".


Did you make mix tapes? I did, although I labelled 'em "Compilations". They were mostly Queen "Deep Cuts" and radio interviews. I made covers using Queen bits I'd find in Smash Hits magazines. The rest of my tapes were my vinyl singles (including... the b-sides) finally on tape.


Bob is also responsible for the accompanying wooden tape art objects, under his arty guise of Bob Art Models. Stalk him at the Louder Than Words literary festival in Manchester this November.

No comments:

Post a Comment